Thursday, July 3, 2008

Tucker's Sack of Chaos


So I was at my friend Emily's summer party a few weeks ago, enjoying life, when our friend Tucker comes up to me and asks, "hey, you knit, right?" I was rather surprised by the question, because I did knit, but I was in the house of a knitter far more experienced and talented than myself (and I'm not just saying that). Then he asked me to make him a bag with a symbol on it, and that he'd send me the symbol later.

And then I got it. Hot damn.

Moral of the story: never agree to a project until you know what the project is.

I want ten dollars and a week of my life back. (And Tucker, if you ever read this, I mean that with all the love in the world, but DAMN was that image complicated!)

TUCKER'S SACK OF CHAOS (dimensions: 17" wide by 15.5" long
 laid flat; base is 13" wide and 3.25" deep)

Required skills:
using circular needles, knitting in the round, changing colors, crochet (chain stitch)

Gauge: 11 sts and 16 rows = 2" on size 5 needles

Materials:
Caron Simply Soft Heather in Charcoal (MC): 2 skeins
Caron Simply Soft Brites! in Lemonade (CC): 1/4 skein
24" circular needles, size 5 OR size to obtain gauge
Crochet hook, size G
Place marker

With MC, cast on 80 sts.
Knit 21 rows in stockinette. Do not join edges.
at the end of the 21st row, do not turn work. Pick up and k 20 sts on adjacent side, 80 sts on cast-on end and 20 sts on the last side. (It may get a little tight here)
Place marker and work in the round (stockinette stitch) for 7 rounds. (If you want your bag to be longer, add rounds here.)
8th round: begin following the pattern, working in CC as necessary. Carry CC loosely behind the work when not in use.
At the end of the pattern, k 11 rounds.
k 1 round, but instead of joining, work back and forth in stockinette stitch for 7 more rows (8 rows total) to create a notch.
Bind off.
Make a tube for the drawstring by sewing the bound-off end to the inside of the work, leaving 1" long opening.

Drawstring: Using CC and crochet hook, create a chain 40" long. Fasten off. Pull the drawstring through the tube. (I recommend tying one end to a safety pin and pulling the pin through.)

Enjoy!

No comments: