Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Basic Teddy Bear Sweater

This is my first self-made pattern that I created with a bit of sportweight scrap yarn. I lost the label long ago, but it's a basic acrylic no-name yarn that my mother gave me a few years ago. (She doesn't knit and doesn't really understand yarn quality and whatnot). Needless to say, I felt I had to make something out of it. Since the ball was so little, why not make little clothing?

There is no neckband because I wanted to keep this basic (and because I suck at making them). If you want to add one, I recommend using a smaller circular needle (size 1) and knitting 4 rounds in k1, p1 rib.

REQUIRED SKILLS: working in rib, working decreases

YOU WILL NEED:
Size 2 needles
Sportweight yarn (one ball will be more than enough).

GAUGE: 6 sts/10 rows in St st = 1 inch

FRONT:
CO 42 sts.
Work in k1, p1 rib for 6 rows.
Row 7 (RS): Work in St st for 18 rows; end on WS.
Row 25 (RS): k1, k2tog, k to last 3 stitches, k2tog, k1
Row 26: p1, p2tog, p to last 3 stitches, p2tog, p1. Repeat these two rows 5 times more --
18 sts, end on WS. Bind off.

BACK: work as for front.

SLEEVES:
CO 36 sts.
Work in k1, p1 rib for 5 rows.
Row 6 (RS): Work in St st for 12 rows, end on WS.
Row 18 (RS): k1, k2tog, k to last 3 stitches, k2tog, k1
Row 19: p1, p2tog, p to last 3 stitches, p2tog, p1. Repeat these two rows 5 times more --
19 sts, end on WS. Bind off.

Sew the sleeves together, attach to main body. Sew down the sides and you're done!

No comments: